rocklands bouldering killing cedar tree?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
mokganjetsi

rocklands bouldering killing cedar tree?

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:36 am

this weekend I showed some US friends around in Rocklands (sport climbing) and walked past the Question of Balance boulder. the beautiful cedar tree at the back of the boulder is still very much alive but I noted the erosion around the tree (no doubt the constant trampling of boulderers) and that it's now protruding roots are damaged and /or dying. I suspect its just a question of time (and noting the ironic name of the boulder) before this beautiful and critically endangered tree dies.

my question is will the bouldering community "own" this situation and do something about it?
or should we petition Cape Nature to close the area / boulder for bouldering? (also noting the painful amount of toilet paper under bushes and overhangs in the area).

wildx

Re: rocklands bouldering killing cedar tree?

Post by wildx » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm

To my knowledge, the Cedar tree is an "indicator" tree towards climate change. You will see them dying across the Ceder range with no real apparent reason. Even with an ax-wielding boulderer they wont be the true reason why these beautiful trees are dying.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:19 pm

wildx wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm
To my knowledge, the Cedar tree is an "indicator" tree towards climate change. You will see them dying across the Ceder range with no real apparent reason. Even with an ax-wielding boulderer they wont be the true reason why these beautiful trees are dying.
there are no doubt external factors that impact on the trees in general which we can't address immediately, but for this particular tree we may be able to prolong its life. i'm open to correction but from what i can see the human (bouldering) impact is damaging this tree significantly. i still think the bouldering community is responsible & should be held accountable.

https://www.news.uct.ac.za/article/-201 ... der-threat

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Andy Davies

Post by Andy Davies » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:26 pm

The impact of bouldering on Rocklands is very noticeable, especially around the base of Sunset Arete. We tried to shore up the erosion in 2014 but rocks got moved out of the way and nature took its course. I think part of the problem is many of the boulderers are foreign visitors who don't give a shit or who don't understand the consequences of each of their small actions [for example toilet paper littering]. In my opinion, the local bouldering community [many of whom are staunch environmentalists] need to take ownership of the problem and fix it. Get Cape Nature to spend some of that easy permit money.
AndyDavies