Insurance for climbers

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Josh78

Insurance for climbers

Post by Josh78 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:09 am

Hi guys

So, I know there has been a few similar posts on this forum about insurance for climbers, however I've been told by my broker, it's unfortunately the way it is, we either have to pay a massively inflated premium (at least double) or add an exclusion to your existing policy.

I'm currently insured with Liberty under their "Liberty Lifestyle Protector" for both life and disability cover, and about 18 months ago I disclosed to them I was a rock climber. They sent me a form which I filled out and sent back to them, where they replied and said: "they would pay out my life insurance if I were killed whilst rock climbing, but they would not pay out any disability cover if I were injured whilst climbing".

Whilst I believe our sport to be very safe, provided one plays by the rules, it is on my mind sometimes.

Does anyone have any constructive insight on an insurer/underwriter that will pay out for both life insurance and disability cover for rock climbers, and that will not require inflated premiums or a "window" period (usually a few years) that you will need to wait out before they will insure you. Please also know PPS is not an option for me (should this be a suggestion).

Looking forward to some help here.

Josh

Justin

Re: Insurance for climbers

Post by Justin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:16 am

Josh78 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:09 am
Please also know PPS is not an option for me (should this be a suggestion).
Why??

Other posts on insurance: search.php?keywords=insurance
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 am

I have known people to have really stupid exclusions from PPS - it may have something to do with that...
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:46 am

PPS require some kind of four year degree or a post graduate qualification, that's often an issue for many people.
Happy climbing
Nic

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Nic, you also have to be acutally working in the field you qualified for to get PPS too and there are some fields that are excluded for some unknown reason.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:55 am

That's not the problem - if you are a qualified Professional you will probably work out exactly what is wrong with PPS...

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 am

Old Smelly wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:55 am
That's not the problem - if you are a qualified Professional you will probably work out exactly what is wrong with PPS...
Now I'm interested, what exactly is wrong with them? Through PPS I get better coverage, with fewer exceptions, at a lower rate than the competition. Personally I don't see a downside with their model.
Happy climbing
Nic

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Because it is you Nic I will attempt to compile a concise but technically comprehensive explanation and submit it here. My experience of them is personal and prejudicial yet related to their policies and not to a case basis, but as I said I will try and compile it in a way that attempts to present the facts without a long story. I will do so but it may take some time.

RockClimber505

Post by RockClimber505 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am

Does anyone know of any other South African insurance company (not PPS) that will do DISABILITY COVER for rock climbing?

I know PPS have disability cover that covers climbing but I don't have a 4 year degree so that's not an option for me :(

Josh78

Post by Josh78 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:22 am

Hi RockClimber505

This is the very reason I created this topic. I've recently asked my broker to do some "broader" digging in this regard. I shall keep you posted on any luck.

Hopefully someone else on this forum can lend a hand here :-)

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 am

For rescue joint the AAUK club.

For travel always use a credit card for your ticket

Discovery classic direct plan covers you for offshore injury to R5million.

Disability is ????? PPS is good though if you are accepted as a member.

Meanwhile start saving the equivalent premiums in a Unit Trust or ETF such as STXIND or SYGUS.

Tifa

Post by Tifa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks for this post! I have life cover through Discovery (Disclosed that I do both sport and trad climbing) but need to find out if I am covered if I am disabled.

Will have to check it out and get back to you.

Tifa!
"Take Hold..."

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 pm

You need to be very specific about exactly what you are wanting to insure. Life insurance in general is one thing. If you are planning to climb in France or elsewhere there are more specific insurance options available esp covering the short term issues.

XMod

Post by XMod » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:10 am

Boycott DISCOVERY!!!!! They follow racist anti-white investment policies - their investment model excludes whites completely which is unconstitutional. If you are European remove your assets, cancel your cover and tell them exactly why you are withdrawing your patronage. Let these twits know that we will NOT stand for this sort of treatment.

Jasoneye

Post by Jasoneye » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Nice rant. If this is the white response to transformation our society is in big trouble. What percent of the black population is exposed to the jse? What percent of the black population has private medical cover?

XMod

Post by XMod » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:29 pm

If you want to support business that practises racial discrimination in any form then you a part of the problem

betrieb

Post by betrieb » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:03 pm

XMod wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:10 am
Boycott DISCOVERY!!!!! They follow racist anti-white investment policies - their investment model excludes whites completely which is unconstitutional. If you are European remove your assets, cancel your cover and tell them exactly why you are withdrawing your patronage. Let these twits know that we will NOT stand for this sort of treatment.
Why do you use "we" in your last statement? The context of your message suggests that the South African climbing community is white only. Sadly there are few non-white people in the climbing community and if someone reads this post that person is certainly not going to feel like climbers are nice and open people. I appreciate your outspoken manner in which you are making yourself heard. There is nothing worse than subtle, underlying and non-tangible racism. I blame people like you for the reason that the sport is totally white dominated. There simply too many racist old-schoolers in the climbing community. Like Jasoneye count me as "part of the problem".