Mountaineering Awards??

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Roland

Mountaineering Awards??

Postby Roland » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:34 pm

The MCSA has for some time now been working on introducing a new award, called the Mountain Award. This would involve recognition of outstanding mountaineering achievements (including big mountains, sport, comps, bouldering, etc) This was voted on some time ago by the sectionsand all but one section were against it. We've been trying to put together a fair scoring system, which is proving somewhat of a headache.

At this stage, I wouldn't mind some comments from people out there, what they think about the concept and whether it is worth pursuing or reconsidering.

Cya
Roland

Roland

error

Postby Roland » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:40 pm

should read \"all but one section was for it\"

ie 12 sections voted for, 1 voted against.

Greg Hart

Postby Greg Hart » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Im all for this idea, in fact I have put up a bounty for the first 8c send by a South African which I challenge anybody to match or better. A ranking system similar to that on 8aNu could be employed with extra points for onsights, first ascents, multipitch routes etc. Its about time the guys were given incentives, a nice fat cash award would be best!

One thing tho, its pedantic symatics but rather call it \"awards for outstanding acheivements in climbing\". Mountaineering is a specific type of climbing. Most sport climbers and boulderers would probably be a bit offended if you called them mountaineers

Guy

Postby Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Hi Roland

Tony Lourens and I are quite far down the road with a very similar SA Mountain initiative. Joining forces makes a lot of sense. Please give me a call. 082 294 0899

Ciao

Guy

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”