Kliphius vs De Pakhuys

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Justin

Kliphius vs De Pakhuys

Post by Justin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:56 am

I recently received an email asking about two campsites in the Cederberg. Having not been to the area in a while, I'd like to know your opinions.

We are a family of 4 and would like to spend a few days in Rocklands early September.
We saw that there are 2 campsites available: De Pakhuys and Kliphuis campsite.

Which one do you recommend for us?
We don’t need much comfort. We have a car but prefer to stay in a campsite where we can reach some easy boulders on foot.

Thank you very much for your feedback in advance!

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Re: Kliphius vs De Pakhuys

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:23 am

De Pakhuys is more vibey; more people; louder; open camping areas; lower altitude and hence warmer and drier
Kliphuis is quiter and have better facilities (for campers); designated sites that can be booked with some privacy; near the top of the pass so takes a bit more rain & a couple degrees colder

personally I prefer Kliphuis because I like the privacy and peace & quiet more than crowds. better for families imho.

bouldering within walking distance from both; De Pakhuys probably better in terms of bouldering though. easy to access major bouldering areas via car from either.

pictures of kliphuis facilities here: https://www.capenature.co.za/reserves/c ... ness-area/