Bolted routes in South Namibia - Aussenkehr and others?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Fabian

Bolted routes in South Namibia - Aussenkehr and others?

Post by Fabian » Tue May 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi all,

We are taking a trip to the Fish River and are searching for a place in South Namibia to camp and climb, as an extension of our trip.
The only spot I can find is Aussenkehr.

1.) Could someone confirm that all routes listed for Aussenkehr in ClimbZa wiki are indeed bolted? http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Aussenkehr

2.) Any other spots worth visiting that already have bolts? We don't want to go TOO far from Ai-Ais area.

3.) We are driving straight past Cedarberg on the way home. Could someone give their opinion on Aussenkehr as a climbing destination in general as I saw some comments that the rock feels "loose and fragile" and I wonder if Truitjieskraal or similar would be a better option. I also see comments that it's "worth it" so really unsure.

Thanks in advance

tygereye

Re: Bolted routes in South Namibia - Aussenkehr and others?

Post by tygereye » Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi Fabian
I would say perhaps plan on a day or two at Aussenkehr. Not worth spending a week there unless you're into other outdoor sports or just chilling.
We were there quite a few years ago and the bolts were all there.
There are some really fun climbs, but the setting is what really makes it worth it.
So, if I may make a suggestion, drive down form Ai-Ais, set up camp and go check out the routes, perhaps do a couple for a "warm up". Then spend the next day climbing and chilling in the canyon, have a swim in the river and pack up the next day to head down to Cederberg.There you can climb there until your fingers fall off! Besides Truitjies, there's also Rooiberg and Houdenbek. Check out the routes and their grades to help you decide where your best visit will be.
Sounds like an epic trip - ENJOY!

Fabian

Re: Bolted routes in South Namibia - Aussenkehr and others?

Post by Fabian » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

tygereye wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 pm
Sounds like an epic trip - ENJOY!
Thanks so much for the advice! We will do Aussenkehr for a night or two.