Removal of abseil biners

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
bad

Removal of abseil biners

Post by bad » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Whilst informal abseil points are just that, "informal", we all know there are lots all over AND we know they must be able to be trusted, after we check them
What really concerns me is when a good decent climbing soul performs a nice deed by donating a piece of tat & a biner then some po&£%$ll removes the biner.
If every time a piece of tat is used without a biner and the last person abseils off with the rope through the tat, the tat will be weakened and it's integrity completely compromised.
I found this to be the case on the tat above Fader's / Sudden Loss of Cabin Pressure abseil.
I would implore that this removal never happen & please let's educate our fellow climbers / abseilers so that our informal abseils remain solid.
You are only as good as your last piece

Forket

Re: Removal of abseil biners

Post by Forket » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 pm

I like leaving biners on chains so I feel ya, though knowing the society we live in, have you considered:

Taping/gluing closed the biner or using large chain links?

E

Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 am

Maillon with red Loctite!

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 am

The abseil rings that you can get from City Rock are a good alternative. Cheaper than biners and maillons, and you have to cut the tat to remove them. I hope it was simply some noob climbers that don't understand implicit crag rules yet.
Happy climbing
Nic

bad

Post by bad » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 am

Absolutely agree with placing a solid ring upfront, or a glued mailon or steel biner if placing after tat in place.
My concern is now one should replace the tat. The tat on this abseil is some 10m or so of static
It's not a bail abseil but used rather regularly. It's not really a newbie area Nic so I wonder who removed it. I think it was tightened with pliers & possibly locktite.
We left a steel biner in situ now but I intend going back with locktite pliers & a mailon soon
Cheers
You are only as good as your last piece