Lakeside Pinnacle BEWARE

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Josh78

Lakeside Pinnacle BEWARE

Post by Josh78 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Hey all,

I was climbing at Lakeside Pinnacle 18/12/2017 on Magic Potion (the 21 with two roofs) and took the knee bar below the first roof, only to hear a major crunching noise. A HUGE piece of rock (part of the upper section of the first roof) definitely dislodged.

Please be careful when climbing that route in the future.

Secondly to that, the anchors on that route (they share the same anchors with the traversing 16) are horrendous. I've climbed on them before many times, but jeez they are not looking lekker (very rusty). How can we get these replaced? Happy to contribute ZAR.

Cheers
Josh

Wes

Re: Lakeside Pinnacle BEWARE

Post by Wes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:06 am

Hi Josh,

So there is an organisation that manages replacement of old bolts and anchors ARF(anchor replacement fund). As lakeside is a popular area it would probably be higher on the priority list.

You can get some information https://www.facebook.com/groups/ARFinfo/, we welcome any donations to this fund, it allows us to keep our sport routes safe.

Wes

NatureBoi

Re: Lakeside Pinnacle BEWARE

Post by NatureBoi » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanx,
I would only be alarmed if the bolt head does not have a letter stamped on the end.
A bolt with a letter has not failed(in SA) yet!
Bolts with letters are made by Fisher or Hilti, global market leaders in fastner technology with the stringent quality control.
The bolts without the letters were made locally and were cheaper. There have been failures of these due to stress corrosion cracking.
All climbers should educate themselves with regards to this.
Along with budy checks with tie-in knots, harness, belay devices and knots in the end of the rope, bolt inspection should be included.
Cheers
Cormac