Sentinel mugging

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Justin

Sentinel mugging

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm

Late report of an attack on 2 French Tourists by 4 assailants near Sentinel Peak in Hout Bay. They had gone up to take pictures of the Dungeon surf spot on Thursday afternoon last week. This area is near the Karbonkelberg Peak and general hot spot for these types of muggings.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

MargheritaIntrona

Re: Sentinel mugging

Post by MargheritaIntrona » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Sadly it would seem that anything accessible via Hout Bay is a hot spot at the moment... :cry:

zoed

Post by zoed » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:50 am

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 am

with respect to people's choices that mo-fo would have had hell if it was up to me. the moron stands on lower ground and points his knife like a drunken conductor. looking at the latest crime stats and trends, and obvious police inadequacy i say we have but one option: fight back. or lock yourself in and live in fear while criminality flourish. screw this, speaking for myself, the fight is on.
i also think it is a disgrace that they basically paid him R300 to leave. how long do they think until he's back looking for the next victim? who might be alone and more vulnerable and end up with a knife between the ribs...... such cowardice!

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 am

I often hear of people getting mugged in the Sentinel area. I also recently heard about a (very) brazen attempt to steal a bicycle somewhere along the Green Belt in Constantia - sounds like the guy was on drugs!

Willem, I completely agree with you - Some food for thought here: If my well being (or the life of my friends, family) is threatened and I am adamant that I can gain the upper hand, I will take that opportunity (I really hope that it never comes to this and that I don't get mugged (again). I've had 2x attempted muggings so far - 1x guy tried to steal my sunnies near a train station (I wacked him and he went away), the other stole my bag at Llandudno, I gave chase, he dropped the bag and after more chasing, the little bugger pulled a reasonable size blade out on me (middle of the main beach which was half full :shock: ). Being out of breath and taking into account the size of the blade, I told him to F' off (which he did) - just an fyi: this kid was about 16, Caucasian (that is to say he was white like me) and well dressed (never trust anyone walking on the beach with shoes :lol:

The things that I worry about (some worst case scenarios)... Suppose the mugger and I engage and I use his weapon on him resulting in his death. What then?
- You're probably going to get a murder charge laid against you (standard procedure for SAPS until the details are ironed out) - you hope there was a witness as to your innocence!?
- Then you hope the muggers uncle, brother, friend doesn't come looking for compensation (in any way!).
- And assuming you're not a sociopath/psychopath you need to deal with the fact that you took a human life (some will deal with this better than others #CostlyTherapy)
- If you do survive you may also have to endure a few court appearances to clear yourself, I've been to court before (in order to help prosecute guys who broke into our house a few years back) - what a ball ache #Postponements
- Then of course, there is the chance the mugger(s) get the upper hand and your family, wife, children go on without you in the world.

Check out this article Anatomy of a Mountain Mugging
Another article on self defence in the mountains
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 am

yeah things can go wrong and we can end up in a heap of sh!t or die...... just thought of 18-year old kids storming the beach at Normandy only to be mowed down like grass..... what debt we owe their bravery in the face of Nazi / fascist domination.
of course i don't want to kill anyone.
i actually hate violence
but crime is spiraling out of control and our submission to it is not helping
i won't take on a guy who clearly has the upper hand e.g. a gun
but a high shithead who's clearly clueless is gonna deal with rocks, fists and whatever else i can get to bring the fight to him
it's actually not that easy to kill someone if you're not trying to - small chance
and a big chance you will get off scott free because self-defence is legal.
his family won't have a financial claim against you unless he supported them with legally earned monies (what are the odds?)

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

I know, just playing devils advocate and putting it out there :)

FYI: The Anatomy of a Mountain Mugging - this was the result:
The mugger who pulled the knife out was just sentenced to 12 years in prison!!!!
This sends out a strong message to any other would be muggers.
Big up to the three guys who persevered and continued with the prosecution of the suspect/mugger.

Place: Skoornsteenkop, Hout Bay, Cape Town
Date: Saturday 20 June 2015
SAPS Case No: CAS 192/06/2015
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Justin wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am
I know, just playing devils advocate and putting it out there
ofcourse :thumleft: