This challenge has been created to motivate young and old to push the bar of South African route climbing. The 8a.nu ranking system is being used as it is the most actively used climbing scoring system to my knowledge. R10 000 for the top Male and R10 000 for the top female.
- Go and send some sport or trad routes.
- Log onto 8a.nu as a South African citizen and log your routes on your scorecard.
- Crush your way to the top by going out, sending routes and logging them as soon as possible.
- To send a route, you must lead climb from the ground up, clipping all bolts (or placing all gear) and successfully clip the chains/top out without assistance.
- 8a.nu only considers the top 10 routes for the past year.
- The winners will be selected on 31 March 2018, announced 1 April 2018 and will be awarded R10 000 cash as soon as possible.
- Only South African citizens considered (a valid RSA ID document/if you younger than 16 a valid RSA birth certificate will be required to claim the booty). Your ID document name must be used as your 8a.nu displayed name.
- Only local (RSA) routes to be considered.
- No repeats(sending a route again, even if you did it years ago) will not be considered. Failing to log a route as repeated and claiming the ascent in your top 10 will result in disqualification from this challenge.
- Only sport climbing and trad climbing led sends will be considered. Only 1st bolt to be preclipped unless there are major health risks involved then a second may be considered. If all trad gear is not placed ground up on the ascent it is considered sport climbing (fixed gear = sport climbing).
- Back logging routes more than 1 month will not be accepted, this is to keep the scores actively being updated. Back logged scores more than 1 month will result in disqualification from this challenge (This is only the top 10 routes as only they are considered in the 8a.nu ranking). Changing routes from logbook to score card will not be tolerated. I've asked the 8a.nu crew to check up on these things at a later date.
- First ascents will only be considered if repeated by someone else and the grade validated before 01/04/2018. Don't rely on scoring points from first ascents as these will be moderated strictly.
- This comp in conjunction with 8a.nu and general climbing runs on an honesty based system, any forms of cheating or bending the rules will result in disqualification from this challenge.
- A general consensus for grades will be accepted. If you grade routes harder then they are, these will be downgraded accordingly when reviewing the winner's score. Rather grade routes solidly.
- Locals only. If you a strong crusher that recently married into South Africa citizenship, you will not be considered for the prize. You have to be South African by birth.
- If I feel that rules are being infringed upon I will amend the rules to my liking at any point in time.
- I will validate that the winners selected 31/03/2018 have not infringed upon the rules and is eligible considering the rules above. If disqualification occurs, the next person in line will be considered and so on.
Any questions, send me an email to ebertnel@yahoo(dot)com