RAISE THE BAR -win R10 000(m&f prize)

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Forket

RAISE THE BAR -win R10 000(m&f prize)

Post by Forket » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Starting 1 April 2017 running to 31 March 2018 I challenge the route climbers of South Africa to RAISE THE BAR. Up for grabs is R10 000 cash to the #1 South African ranked 8a.nu route climber (both Male and Female respectively). (sport and trad), no strings attached.

This challenge has been created to motivate young and old to push the bar of South African route climbing. The 8a.nu ranking system is being used as it is the most actively used climbing scoring system to my knowledge. R10 000 for the top Male and R10 000 for the top female.

To start:
  • Go and send some sport or trad routes.
  • Log onto 8a.nu as a South African citizen and log your routes on your scorecard.
  • Crush your way to the top by going out, sending routes and logging them as soon as possible.
  • To send a route, you must lead climb from the ground up, clipping all bolts (or placing all gear) and successfully clip the chains/top out without assistance.
  • 8a.nu only considers the top 10 routes for the past year.

Rules:
  • The winners will be selected on 31 March 2018, announced 1 April 2018 and will be awarded R10 000 cash as soon as possible.
  • Only South African citizens considered (a valid RSA ID document/if you younger than 16 a valid RSA birth certificate will be required to claim the booty). Your ID document name must be used as your 8a.nu displayed name.
  • Only local (RSA) routes to be considered.
  • No repeats(sending a route again, even if you did it years ago) will not be considered. Failing to log a route as repeated and claiming the ascent in your top 10 will result in disqualification from this challenge.
  • Only sport climbing and trad climbing led sends will be considered. Only 1st bolt to be preclipped unless there are major health risks involved then a second may be considered. If all trad gear is not placed ground up on the ascent it is considered sport climbing (fixed gear = sport climbing).
  • Back logging routes more than 1 month will not be accepted, this is to keep the scores actively being updated. Back logged scores more than 1 month will result in disqualification from this challenge (This is only the top 10 routes as only they are considered in the 8a.nu ranking). Changing routes from logbook to score card will not be tolerated. I've asked the 8a.nu crew to check up on these things at a later date.
  • First ascents will only be considered if repeated by someone else and the grade validated before 01/04/2018. Don't rely on scoring points from first ascents as these will be moderated strictly.
  • This comp in conjunction with 8a.nu and general climbing runs on an honesty based system, any forms of cheating or bending the rules will result in disqualification from this challenge.
  • A general consensus for grades will be accepted. If you grade routes harder then they are, these will be downgraded accordingly when reviewing the winner's score. Rather grade routes solidly.
  • Locals only. If you a strong crusher that recently married into South Africa citizenship, you will not be considered for the prize. You have to be South African by birth.
  • If I feel that rules are being infringed upon I will amend the rules to my liking at any point in time.
  • I will validate that the winners selected 31/03/2018 have not infringed upon the rules and is eligible considering the rules above. If disqualification occurs, the next person in line will be considered and so on.
If you don't start pushing now, you won't be ready for the same challenge next year!!!

Any questions, send me an email to ebertnel@yahoo(dot)com

Happy crushing
Ebert Nel
Last edited by Forket on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Forket

Re: RAISE THE BAR - win R10 000

Post by Forket » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

:pirat: :thumleft:
Attachments
stick climber.PNG
stick climber.PNG (9.46 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Inspiring to read this Ebert! Must ask, who is fitting the bill? Well done to them, super cool to see.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Logic

Post by Logic » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Yo E,

I think you made a typo, surely you meant to type a "$" and not a "R". R10k is basically one trip to your local Woolies my boy, i.e. basically a non-incentive.

Also, I am almost 100% sure I am going to win ( very close on a number, in fact all of them, 8c routes accross SA. So thanks for sorting me out for at least one Woolies visit, assuming the worst-case scenario, that you did not make the typo as refered to earlier. Much appreciated son, nonetheless.

#Ebertismysugardaddy

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Logic: if R10k is that minor to you please ask what a domestic worker earns in a month, then research what minimum wage is, then ask a student what R10k means to them, but please, don't come here bragging about how rich you are that you spend R10k on a typical trip to Woolies.

Ebert, if you are the one that instigated this challenge- which does seem to be the case- I commend you for it. Top end climbing in this needs a kick in the pants, as we have had nothing like this since Rock n Road. I often disagree with your actions and words, but a do not disagree with your intentions regarding this topic.

Wouldn't it be rad if the Raise the Bar was settled on an invites only rock comp at a new crag? I'd happily volunteer to help at that, although I recognize it is far more work than putting up cash.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 am

Warren G wrote:Logic: if R10k is that minor to you please ask what a domestic worker earns in a month, then research what minimum wage is, then ask a student what R10k means to them, but please, don't come here bragging about how rich you are that you spend R10k on a typical trip to Woolies.

Ebert, if you are the one that instigated this challenge- which does seem to be the case- I commend you for it. Top end climbing in this needs a kick in the pants, as we have had nothing like this since Rock n Road. I often disagree with your actions and words, but a do not disagree with your intentions regarding this topic.

Wouldn't it be rad if the Raise the Bar was settled on an invites only rock comp at a new crag? I'd happily volunteer to help at that, although I recognize it is far more work than putting up cash.
TROLLED
At the chaaaaains boet!!

Forket

Post by Forket » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:54 pm

@Warren G:

Working on a RocknRoad idea with Wesley Black. He is currently in the Freestate and thinks it would be the ideal spot for the next RocknRoad. It's central and has a bunch of undeveloped spots. Hopefully his conservation background gets us in with a bunch of farmers, then we sorted.

So will try organize one for next year.

@logic: Sponsor 10k for the girls?

Ebert

Don

Post by Don » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Cummon, lets make a deal here. I'm not on 8a.

Logic

Post by Logic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm

@Warren G, relax. I do not set the Woolies prices, do I?

@Forket, is the prize only available for men, as I thought the R10k goes to the person achieving the highest annual score? So , no, no additional R10k 'for the girls'.

Forket

Post by Forket » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:27 pm

To get some girls involved in this challenge: There is now R10 000 up for grabs for the male #1 and the female #1. Same rules as above :pirat:

eT

Forket

Re: RAISE THE BAR -win R10 000(m&f prize)

Post by Forket » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:45 am

Time is running out, who will take home the 20k?

:pirat:

Forket

Re: RAISE THE BAR -win R10 000(m&f prize)

Post by Forket » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 am

Lover seeing people clawing up their scores :thumleft:

Scanning through the top scorecards to date, four fields of the top scores will not be considered as is:

-foreign ascents
-grades as logged (general concensus will be taken as the legitimate score/points earned for a route)
-routes that have been sent before, sent again and logged won't be considered.
-you can't claim the flash of an extension if you sent the first part of the route before (a few days earlier). The extension line includes the entire line from the ground to the extended chains. A Grey area exists if a line forks, but my ethics would lean toward only the first line chosen being onsight-/flash-able and the second only red point able as the line had been partly climbed before the 2nd ascent of the fork.

Any questions on specific routes that remain unclear, please ask and state all the relevant info for consideration.

Regards
Ebert