Medical Aid & Climbing

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
The Jimmy

Medical Aid & Climbing

Postby The Jimmy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:53 am

I recently had my medical funds changed and I questioned the agent about wheter the fund would pay for injuries incurred from rock climbing. She said no probs, the fund will pay. But this is counter to how I've understood the system was working in the past. The medical fund(s) dont normally pay for injuries,etc. from \"extreme\" sports, if I understand correctly (I've been lucky so far so haven't had to find out for myself yet...touch wood) and climbing is classified in their books as an extreme sport.

Am I wrong or is the agent wrong? Anyone know more about this?

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:47 pm

I can't speak for all the medical funds, but I know Discovery don't seem to mind about climbing or (I think) sports in general. Now disability funds are a different story...

autocratic-scum

Postby autocratic-scum » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:26 pm

i've just been thinking about this exact thing recently... I always assumed that med aids won't pay for injuries sustained while participating in \"extreme\" sports like climbing but then I also thought that you could always say you were simply hiking in mountainous terrain and slipped off a ledge... or is hiking also considered an extreme sport nowadays? :wink: i would still double check if I were you though... don't trust your agent to know what's going on.

JC

Medical Aid Queries

Postby JC » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:40 pm

If anyone has any queries about medical aid or gear insuranc, contact the guys at 'Harnacks - extreme risk insurance' - 083 461 6856

Rastaman

Postby Rastaman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:53 pm

Hey man,
Just been through this with my medical aid.
The safest thing to do is to disclose to your medical aid that you climb.
I did this and had to fill in a form asking questions about the type of climbing. They didn't ask anything about trad or sport, just if you are an alpine climber, how often you climb and if you climb with ropes (?)
Guess sport and trad climbing is fairly safe compared to big mountain climbing.
Anyway would recommend that you phone and check with your mediacl aid. Got to careful of the small print.
Last thing you need is a fat medical bill of like a 100k after a big accident.

The Jimmy

Postby The Jimmy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:54 am

Cool, thanx for all the advice!

Rastaman

Postby Rastaman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 am

Forgot to mention that it didn't change my premium at all.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:52 am

Same with my medical aid - they cover climbing and motor racing, but they first asked me if it was my proffession or just recreation, so I told them I climb 38's and last weekend michael almost had me :lol:

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”