climbing in S. Africa near Tzaneen?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Jon

climbing in S. Africa near Tzaneen?

Postby Jon » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:03 am

hi, I'm visiting my sister who is working in the Tzaneen area of S. Africa. I'm an avid climber who can't imagine 2 weeks away from the cliff. So i'm dragging my gear from New Hampshire, USA to Africa. The only thing is that I have ZERO idea about climbing in S.A. I mostly gear or aid climb (but i think the airlines might have and issue with all of the metal on the plane) so info. on a great sport climbing or bouldering spot the Tzaneen area would be killer. I appreciate anyone who responds to this query. Thanks. -Jon

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:04 am

Jon, Tzaneen is really out in the sticks! You might be lucky enough to find someone willing to do Blouberg with you if you're in for a long drive

Climb ZA

Postby Climb ZA » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:06 am

Be sure to look into going to The Restaurant (Waterval Boven) which has awesome sport climbing. P.S. Blouberg is Trad climbing, albeit awsome 600m walls of trad climbing.

crosswind

Postby crosswind » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:06 am

There's development taking place at Blyde and Hazyview area(supposedly). There's also Boven and Nelspruit. Bit of a drive though.

Jon

Postby Jon » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:06 am

thanks eveyone who posted me back I'll be in sa the 24 of march.

Roland

Wolkberg

Postby Roland » Tue May 03, 2005 10:18 am

There is some climbing very close to Tzaneen - in an area which is called the Wolkberg. It isn't the greatest, being somewhat vegatated and all, but the area is awesome, with pools to swim in etc. Routes up to 4/5 pitches. The 4th sister generally has the best routes. - i am sure guys in the area will know. You might need a permit from the government to go there. Contact the MCSA 011 807 1310 (8-10am) for more details.

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”