The Hole parking fines

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Andy Davies

The Hole parking fines

Post by Andy Davies » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 am

Dammit! I got a speeding fine driving to the Hole the other day, then the buggers klapped me with a parking ticket for parking out of the way on the pavement. (Sean also got one before me). Bit of a problem as there are no parking bays and its ludicrous to park in the road. I assume its happened to a couple of other people. I am keen to take it up with the men in uniform (calm down Mark) so if you did get nailed then drop me a line so we can challenge it through the MCSA.
AndyDavies

siamm

Re: The Hole parking fines

Post by siamm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Andy,

I post on behalf of our driver who is not active on this forum.
We climbed at The Hole on Sunday, Oct 9, and got a R750 (!!) fine for parking on the pavement.
We saw one other car which also received a fine, might been you?
We parked with all four tires on the pavement. Wondering if there are some regulations if it is ok to park half on, half off the pavement?
If you want to challenge it through the MCSA I am happy to put you in touch with our driver!

Hope your next climbing trip is a bit cheaper then :wink:

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

I believe the correct (law abiding) way to park is with two wheels on the road (the rest of the car on the pavement). The reasoning for this is to allow pedestrians to pass.

I'm willing to bet that the men in uniform will tell you to park below in Muizenberg and then walk up the steps :?

Taking it up with the authorities should get your fines reduced/cleared though.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 pm

R750 !!!!!! :shock:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

lelikegogga

Post by lelikegogga » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 pm

I was there on the 9th as well and did not get a fine. Other cars around me did. My car was parked with two wheels in the road as Justin describes. I remember the same thing happening a couple of years back, with the authorities reasoning being exactly what Justin says.
R750... that is insane!! I would def appeal, for there is no indication of what the correct way of parking might be. :puker:

klimkop

Post by klimkop » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

previous discussion on the matter

The Hole - Parking
Since I started climbing I developed a big crack addiction.

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks klimkop :thumleft: (I knew that post was somewhere, just couldn't find it!)
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

klimkop

Post by klimkop » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Sunday was my 1st time at The Hole. Wanted to check posts on the forum on the climbing at The Hole. Found this one on parking before Sunday's climb, lucky me.
As I approached the parking area I noticed the pink slips flapping in the breeze on cars not parked with 2 wheels on the road. The copper just pulled off on his iron horse as I approached.
Since I started climbing I developed a big crack addiction.

Andy Davies

Post by Andy Davies » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 am

Hi there folks.......

Seems like a couple of us have been getting parking tickets whilst accessing The Hole and Pecks Valley above Boyes Drive. After a little bit of investigating, I got hold of a senior traffic official who is prepared to look into the issue. However I need all the parking tickets issued in this area so I can submit them and our case together.

So if you have a parking ticket for this area, please can you scan it and send it to me chop chop - maybe christmas will come early and they might drop the tickets :-)

This is important not only in terms of existing tickets, but preventing future fines when we access the mountain.

You can contact me through the climbZA administrator please.
AndyDavies

siamm

Post by siamm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Andy, pm'ed you...

Andy Davies

Post by Andy Davies » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm

I have emailed the traffic cops about this little issue but for now I suggest we just follow the example of the marked out parking bays at Echo Valley on Boyes Drive [pic below] - ie leave enough space for a mommy & pram to pass your car on the pavement.
Echo Valley2.JPG
Echo Valley2.JPG (55.1 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
AndyDavies