Wolwerivier

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
DillonMantle

Wolwerivier

Post by DillonMantle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi all,

What are the access arrangements to Wolwerivier at the moment?

I have a copy of western cape rock, but the contact details in the book vary from what is on this site.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Dillon

Nic Le Maitre

Re: Wolwerivier

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Try them both and see what happens. Let us know...
Happy climbing
Nic

DillonMantle

Post by DillonMantle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:19 am

Ok, so both numbers I have no longer exist.
Damn.

Stefan Smeda

Post by Stefan Smeda » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 am

Maybe I can save you some trouble. The guide book says you should call Rob Stewardson or Dave Jones.
Rob's number doesn't exist anymore. Dave used to be the Chairman of the South Cape section of the MCSA. He is no longer. Dave gave me 2 other numbers to call: Bill Uren (current SC MCSA Chairman) and Greg Devine? (Current SC MCSA rock climbing convenor). So I called Greg and got a female voicemail, then I called Bill and he was able to help me after explaining the current situation at Wolwerivier.

Basically access to wolwerivier has been closed due to the actions of some inconsiderate climber muppets not following the rules. Access has since been re-opened exclusively for MCSA members. So if you're not carrying an MCSA card - don't bother. They will check. To get there you have to pre-arrange access through the farm manager (he has to unlock the gate for you) and if the owners are on the property (it is a sort of holiday home for them) then there is no access. If you PM me then I'll give you Bill's phone number afterwhich you can make arrangements with the farm manager.

DillonMantle

Post by DillonMantle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:43 am

Ok great, thanks.

I guess I better get my arse into gear and join the MCSA!

Faffy001

Post by Faffy001 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

You can also contact the new climbing wall in george (FEARLESS) and they can try to organise. I have gone with them twice as the owners have a good relationship with the farm manager, however, as was said...if the owner or any visitors are there....not gonna happen. :) Good luck...but call Marcel or Kiwi at Fearless, they will try to help!

Good luck,
Juli

DillonMantle

Post by DillonMantle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Woohoo, climbing wall in George!
At least I know where I will be Sunday afternoon before my flight back to Johannesburg.