Boven - Restaurant Crag access

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
MClay

Boven - Restaurant Crag access

Postby MClay » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 am

Does anyone have some recent info on the new Restaurant Crag access arrangement? Last time I was there the NGO had just taken over the old resort and there wasn't any sort of pay to park deal in place yet. What's the going rate and to whom should I give the cash?

Also is this the best place to park for access to Sport Valley and Triple Tier? I have used the old resort for Sport Valley access before and it isn't that bad of a walk-in. Is ARCA Retreat a better/shorter option?

Haven't been to Triple Tier yet so any current info on parking/access is also greatly appreciated! :thumleft:

oubaas

Re: Boven - Restaurant Crag access

Postby oubaas » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Gustav will have all the relevant information. Il be very careful climbing within the restaurant area apparently muggings are happening quite often there nowadays

Hector

Postby Hector » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:08 am

I haven't heard of recent muggings but there have been at least two bad dog-attack incidents in the last few months. The guys who live at Elandskrans have a pack of dogs they keep for protection (not unreasonable so - they were attacked recently). Take care - the dogs are vicious.

Gustav

Postby Gustav » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 am

Yo oubaas? Tell us about all these muggings? Really?

The guys 'looking after' Elandskrans at the moment is an NGO based Youth Corps group. A bit weird but when the municipal workers strike, these guys pull in to collect garbage in Boven etc. etc.

The 'attack' recently was some random person 'apparently' setting fire to one of the chalets. They saw some lady traversing the property and soon after there was a fire... hmmmmm.

Either way, there has been loads of re-bolting and climbers galore at the crags - see pic at Flying is Fun on homepage. But yes, always keep in mind that you are climbing in South Africa, don't carry loads of cash and valuables.

Enjoy.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:04 am

I was at Restaurant Crag & Gaper Buttress with a couple of friends last week. Two young men [Thabo and Cameron?] were looking after the Elands Kraal resort and managing the parking. They asked for R10 per person and we signed our names in a log book. They showed us to the crags and watched us climb. They were friendly and even seemed quite interested in climbing. We actually quite enjoyed hanging out with them at the crag. I bet if we had more time there they would have harnessed up and tried it themselves :)

MClay

Postby MClay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks all. We did check with the kind folks at Roc n' Rope and they were super helpful as always. Hoping to hit up this area either Sat or Sun.

MClay

Postby MClay » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Just a quick update - We parked at Elandkrans this past Saturday. We had no issues; saw a few dogs, but they weren't close to the parking area or the trail. We paid R20 per person to the guys running the place now.

Didn't see a soul other than those in our group. It's amazing that such great climbing doesn't get more traffic.

Forket

Postby Forket » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:59 am

Elandskrans is open for camping again.
R20 per day visit.
R10 for the car.
R20 for camping (no electricity.)

Yes there were 2 or 3 seperate dog attacks, so be careful, but the two most recent breakins were at Tranquilitas campsite. Think they robbed the store once and then stole some bags by breaking a bakkie window. Crime is everywhere, dont hate on the old areas, they safer than the current popular camping these days.

Ebert

dannypinkas

Postby dannypinkas » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 am

As a local resident I would say that to claim that Elandskrans is safer than Tranquilitas (even if the places were not mentioned by name) is a huge misrepresentation of the facts. No one camps at Elandskrans anymore (possibly a couple of students for a night or two ?) so to draw a comparison is futile.

Yes, there was a break-in at Tranquilitas over a month ago during which, to the best of my knowledge, the only victims were Mike and Ruth Behr (the owners) and the broken car window. The perpetrators (who arrived from and escaped to Emgwenya on foot) were obviously lead by an ex-employee who clearly knew his way around and bypassed laptops in favour of a recently serviced chainsaw, sweets and petty cash. The very next day motion sensors were placed all around the campsite and a repeat by the same perpetrators is highly unlikely.

Having said that, climbing at the Restaurant crags is superb and safe. If you are going to camp there, however, make sure that the cadets are on site as they often have breaks between intakes, during which only a couple of people are on the ground. Also, be very wary of the dogs. "Attacks" doesn't exactly describe the extent of the injuries sustained by those who were mauled during those attacks.

rocklooney

Postby rocklooney » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:38 pm

All kitted up for Boven this weekend. How do I look?

Gear for Boven.jpg
Gear for Boven.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 480 times

Old Smelly

Postby Old Smelly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Looks like you have the ankle biters sorted :thumright

Thanks Danny - always good to hear the lowdown from a local on the scene. Besides the fact that you are local you are also a very credible source of info.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

Social Media

Return to “Access & Closures”