Climbing restrictions (Chosspile and Bronkies)

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
dirktalma

Climbing restrictions (Chosspile and Bronkies)

Postby dirktalma » Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 pm

The following was posted on the MCSA Magalies newsletter via email:

Eagle Watch

harry-bliss edited.jpg
harry-bliss edited.jpg (61.76 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

Due to Verreaux’s Eagle breeding season the following climbing restrictions apply:
1. Chosspile – no climbing permitted in Lord of the Rings Sector

2. Bronkies - no climbing permitted in Eagle sector (between markers at the base of the crag)

The consequences of climbers not observing these restrictions could lead to closure of these crags, so please work with us so that we can secure long-term access and help protect the wonderful Black Eagles.”

Updates to the restrictions will be given as the season progresses.

eagleeyrie

Re: Climbing restrictions (Chosspile and Bronkies)

Postby eagleeyrie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:02 pm

Guys please respect raptor and bird breeding sites. See fb post regarding black eagle conservationist visiting a site only to find climbers at a nest being studied. This has damaged the climbing communities reputation amount some conservationists and could have serious implications. This is some seriously unwanted publicity for the climbing community. Mcsa has issued notices and restrictions but also try to use better judgement when deciding routes to send. These raptors are already at risk and under threat and last thing we need is eagles not completing a breeding cycle due to climbers. .. we all claim to be nature lovers but sometimes we are not acting as such.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =681028222
"WHERE IS THE THICKET, GONE , WHERE IS THE EAGLE , GONE ..... THE END OF LIVING AND THE BEGINING OF SURVIVAL! "

jacosmuts

Postby jacosmuts » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Hello Dylan

The eagles have been back at Bronkies for a while now. Contrary to some of the noise on this forum most climbers I know enjoy and respect the environment including the Eagles that sometimes prevent us from climbing in certain areas. The FB post you are referring to is unfortunate but I don't think it is completely accurate.

From what I can tell none of the photos posted were of climbers transgressing in the area marked off as restricted. Most of the anchors and photos seem to be of Blues Suede Shoes and surrounds. Blues Suede Shoes has been around since 2004.

With regards to litter. I climb at Bronkies regularly and can honestly say that litter is not a problem at Bronkies. If these climbers did leave litter laying around that is off-course completely unacceptable. I do think one needs to distinguish between gear, bottles and food laying around whilst climbing versus what was left behind once the climbers left the area.

Let's keep this constructive and avoid a mud slinging match.

Thanks
Jaco

proze

Postby proze » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:11 pm

eagleeyrie wrote:Guys please respect raptor and bird breeding sites. See fb post regarding black eagle conservationist visiting a site only to find climbers at a nest being studied. This has damaged the climbing communities reputation amount some conservationists and could have serious implications.

It's also, as Jaco has pointed out, factually incorrect. Those people are to the right of the nesting sign posts. The FB poster also seems to be under the impression that the whole cliff should be banned to climbing? This has never been the arrangement. The poephol abseiling with his dog... well that's another story. :pirat:

Gobsmacked

Postby Gobsmacked » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Gentlemen I think we are all on the same page here. The objective at this point is to self police ourselves as climbers so that we can avoid any extreme reactions from the various birding societies and the related authorities. To that end we need to observe the restrictions in principle as well as in verse.

SO at this point the area in question mentioned in this report will be looked at to see if there are indeed Black Eagles trying to nest there, whether they have ever done so before or not. As mentioned previously we must all work on facts and on the research and science involved in determining the safe zones for Eagle Nesting. We as climbers must be restrained and rational and well reasoned about this - not argumentative and stirring up trouble as some of the more colourful individuals on this forum tend to do!

Lets all be proactive and work together to preserve the Eagles safety and prevent alarmism and overreactions on the part of climbers and the various conservation bodies. The MCSA will arrange for an investigation to see what the actual facts are on the ground. We will feed back our findings to you all.

Grant Rens
MCSA JHB Chairman

jacosmuts

Postby jacosmuts » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Hello Grant

Agreed. It should be investigated where the Eagles are now nesting - if not in the usual site. My point was rather that it is unfortunate that climbers are now being painted with a bad brush when they were not breaking the existing agreement and in case the nest has now moved to that point (which is to be confirmed) likely were not aware of it and therefore still not being malicious nor ignorant.

I chose not to comment on the dog as I don't think that will add any value to the discussion regarding the Eagles and access to Bronkies.

Off climbing now

Cheers

Gobsmacked

Postby Gobsmacked » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi

Yes - wish I was going climbing now!

I think we are all on the same page. It looks like for the moment climbers should all avoid "Blue Suede Shoes" and the climbs in that zone. We will investigate and get back to you about an exclusion zone.

It may well mean that the old exclusion zone can fall away and make space for some new climbs but we will see.

Thank You to all the climbers out there who do care about the environment and continued access to the crags! Lets continue to work together. :thumright

Regards
Grant Rens

eagleeyrie

Postby eagleeyrie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Evening gents. I appreciate all the responses as well as reactions and this has been noticed by the conservationists... my post was not to sling the preverbial mud, but rater draw attention to the discussion regarding the Eagle's and the breeding. One thing to consider is that eagles like these often have 2 and sometimes 3 nests that they rotate on and on occasion rebuild old sites, i think a close working relationship between climbers and conservationists is a positive thing as often climbers are on the ground and can offer some positive observations in this regard. I must admit I am not familiar with this particular crag but in general we should be aware of the assumptions and discussion that involve us as a climbing community. I am happy that we can discuss this and work towards a good working relationship between us and the other interested parties. Again my intention was to bring the discussion regarding us as climbers to the attention of people in the know and am glad a positive result can be achieved by working together. Many thanks for this and I appreciate the fact that we as climbers are seen as not negatively impacting the environment, as a climber as well as raptor conservationist I felt it should be addressed and discussed to deal with the issue correctly. I appreciate the responses and thank you for the comments regarding this . Many thanks and happy climbing
"WHERE IS THE THICKET, GONE , WHERE IS THE EAGLE , GONE ..... THE END OF LIVING AND THE BEGINING OF SURVIVAL! "

Gobsmacked

Postby Gobsmacked » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:42 am

On Sunday Morning a MCSA team with Raptor Expert in tow went to Bronkies to investigate possible Black Eagle nesting sites. With due caution and care the entire crag was inspected. In conjunction with a concerned Raptor group we then concluded that the only likely nesting site at this point in time is the one traditionally used. So at the moment we would like to maintain the current exclusion zone signposted at the Bronkies crag. We as the MCSA and in co operation with the various concerned raptor groups will continue to monitor all the affected crags and feed back to the climbing public.

So to be clear - at Bronkies the NORMAL exclusion zone is the only area that needs to be avoided at this point in time.

Once again thank you to all the concerned parties - climbers, hikers and conservationists - and lets all keep co operating to preserve the environment that we all enjoy so much.

Grant Rens
MCSA JHB Chairman

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:05 am

will the Raptor Expert and the MCSA contact the FB-poster in question and request a retraction of her slander tantrum? an apology is also due i would say.

jacosmuts

Postby jacosmuts » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:52 am

That is great news. Thank you Grant and all who took the effort to inspect the site. Being in contact with a lot who frequent Bronkies I will be sure to update them on the current decision and request we all keep our eyes open should anything change.

Cheers
Jaco

themoonandthelily

Postby themoonandthelily » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:23 am

mokganjetsi wrote:will the Raptor Expert and the MCSA contact the FB-poster in question and request a retraction of her slander tantrum? an apology is also due i would say.

I agree with this and hope the person will apologise to those who were to be 'named and shamed' as well as the climbing community in general.

sakkiejvr

Postby sakkiejvr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Just checked, the post is still on her facebook page. Amazing!!
Sakkie Jansen van Rensburg

proze

Postby proze » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Dylan Freeman, you posted on that thread on FB. Why don't you put her straight and ask her to update the post after reading Grant's reply?

emile

Postby emile » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:40 pm

Agreed. I am particularly unimpressed with being ignored when I asked about this supposed "full closure". Don't go around making claims and accusations and then disappear when you're asked about it. That's Ebert's job. :jocolor:

CragRat

Postby CragRat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:06 pm

please provide her FB page details - Social Media can get real :hapban

eagleeyrie

Postby eagleeyrie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 am

Hi guys as per the comments above I will contact the poster and sort out as per mcsa reply from Grant regarding the mcsa site visit and interaction. As stated I'm not familiar with the crag and was just highlighting the fact that there was concerns raised. I will message the fb poster and take it up with her and recommend a retraction and way forward. I'm currently in the uae so haven't been as active on here hence delay and apologies for that. Once I have contacted her I will notify you guys here. I appreciate the proactive attitude of the msca and their work done to mitigate this.

Happy climbing

Dylan

rocklooney

Postby rocklooney » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:30 pm

I've been following this thread and have a good look at the facebook page in question with all it's comments about what crap conservationists and idiots climbers are etc. etc. I've been climbing at Bronkies for years and had a really cool happening there a few years ago. I was at the chains of one of the routes downstream of the nest site and my belayer suddenly shouted to me to turn around quickly. I did so, and one of the eagles was cruising past me, it's wingtips no more than a few metres from the cliff face. Because they are so big they seem to glide very slowly and as it went past it looked directly at me then slowly turned away and dropped down towards the water. Bloody amazing and a very similar experience to one I had with dolphins whilst diving in Ponta D'Ouro. As for the comments about "pegs and chains", "idiots", and how bad climbers generally are for the state of the environment, oh well, I suppose many people have to have a rant about something. Makes them feel better, more important and in charge of something. Many climbers are environmentally conscious and many aren't. That's just how it is. Like most categories of people.To those ignorant people who replied to the original FB post with clearly ill-informed comments about climbers, I would say .. switch of the remote, get off the couch, pack away the cheese curls, and head out to the crag with a climber. It's much more exciting that getting all huffy-puffy on Facebook.

eagleeyrie

Postby eagleeyrie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:29 pm

Greetings guys. I responded to the fb post as well as original posters page and await a response but as yet nothing. Feel free to follow link to see the message I posted and again will keep the thread updated on progress. Again I must show my appreciation to MCSA for being proactive and following up on this issue, thus proving that the climbing community does consider the environment and appreciate the relationship we share with nature. Many thanks again to MCSA JHB for following up and addressing this.

Happy climbing

GClamp

Postby GClamp » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:13 am

Interesting how people can just spew misinformation, calling for culpability and consequences, engaging in petty name calling.

However, when proved wrong they are nowhere to be found.

Well done all (MCSA and others) in following the correct processes on this.

Wonder if any of those facebook posters will retract and apologize? very unlikely.

BreytJ

Postby BreytJ » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Update on Choss eagles. Chick doing well. Had a report of the Eagles buzzing baboons in the area last week. Once satisfied that they were no longer a threat, the eagles returned to the nest. Expectation is that the chick will leave the nest mid October. Will keep you posted.
If anybody has news on the Tonquani eagles, or a recent update on Wilgepoort please send info to mcsa.jhb.conservation@gmail.com
Thanks Johann

Social Media

Return to “Access & Closures”