Quantcast
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hellfire
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:23 am 
Morning folks.We are planning a trip to Hellfire SOON! Heard that it was solely Trad lines!? Saw a photograph of Diego in the gallery on 'The Beast' thought i saw bolts in the pic? Are there bolted routes? Cheers to the good life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:24 am 
Mario. More than enough bolted lines. Get the new Western Cape guidebook for the low down on the routes.

Post subject:
Cheers Paddy! Have a good weekend guys! To the good life!

Post subject:
Mario, make sure you've got permits for hellfire. The boys out there are patrolling, and its a R500 per head fine if you don't have one...

Post subject:
Thanx for the 'heads up' stb! How would I go about that! Do I contact the land owner or is someone else in charge of that? Would the contact numbers be in the new 'Western Cape Crags'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:25 am 
Yeah definitely get permits, phone Western Cape Nature Conservation Board's booking number and ask for the number for bookings for the Limietberg reserve. There is some stupid rule that non-MCSA members cant get permits to climb, we are trying to have this changed, but in the meantime just say you are going to hike either Elandspad or Kromriver trails. If you have problems with the main booking office try phoning the Limietberg reserve office itself and speak to the reserve manager Deon Rousouw, He's a cool guy and has no problems with people cdlimbing there. If you havent organised permits by close of business on Friday you can still buy permits in the valley from the farm Waboomsrust, please phone ahead to arrange to meet someone there (dont just pitch up, there may be no-one available to help you), ask for Nicolette van Rensburg or anyone at reception. The walk up starts 400m back from the Klipriver bridge (U-turn there, Carefully!!!)near a large freeway sign. Have a jol guys! Sorry dont have phone numbers on me but will post them up asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:25 am 
Gri-Gri.....you da man! Thank you for all the info! To the good life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:27 am 
We've just phoned the Cape Nature Conservation Permits Office (tel. 021 483 2949 or 021 483 2950) and spoke to a lady named Thembela. The cost is R24 per person per day for climbing at Hellfire! Children ages 6-16 par R12. You also \"MUST phone the reserve manager Dion Rossouw\" tel. 021 871 1536. Booking can be made by email or fax and payment at bank, via internet transfer, Credit Card, etc. You can also visit their website and kinda-sorta book online. click below for the kinda-sorta book online Cape Nature website http://www.capenature.co.za/Contact_Us/ ... plate.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:27 am 
R24 Jeez we paid twenty bucks just last weekend! Wonder when the price hike happened? Anyhoo enjoy the crag, been my home for the last 12 years and I still love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:49 am 
Cape Natures booking office has moved their new number is 021-6593602.

Post subject: Hellfire and bolting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:54 pm 
Hi
On the Hellfire topic, just some updates. Have spoken to Deon regarding access etc, and it seems it's probably fine to just phone the booking office if you want to climb there, and not phone him as well.

Currently, bolting at Hellfire is not permitted. However, if there are any dodgy bolts or anchors that need replacing (note, this can be done through the ARF: Anchor replacement fund... speak to Andy Davies) this can be done.

Following on the success of negotiations with Cape Nature regarding bolting at Rocklands and Truitjieskraal, the MCSA will probably be approaching other Cape Nature areas with the view to implementing a similar plan. So, although it takes time and effort, it's all positive stuff.

cheers,
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:47 pm 
Thats good to hear, I wont say that the guidebook (including all sport and trad routes, over 150 in total) is coming out soon as its been delayed so many times in the past. But I have finished it!! Now all that remains is to gather advertising, hoping to publish early in the new year.

As far as tackling the bolting issue goes I would urge the comittee to move on it asap in the new year as this is a really good crag that has potential for over a hundred high quality sport lines. I will be submitting a full on formal application early next year which will hopefully give you guys the ammunition needed to approach the authorities. Keep up the good work Brent et al.