Potential nation wide climbing ban

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
GBM

Re: Potential nation wide climbing ban

Post by GBM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 pm

As I said before, I am exercising my right to practise a religious activity and freedom by being in the hills. I manifest and practice my religious beliefs through climbing. I have a Constitional right to do so and the Constitutional Court has given recognition to this right - S v Lawrence 1997 (4) SA 1176 (CC). The regulations and consequently the fine have no application since the act of climbing I perform in practising my religion do constitute a sport in the ordinary sense of the word.

As an upstanding law abiding citizen and if I ever get to confront a ticket issuing government agent I will happily accept the document and inform the person issuing it that I will use my right to an open hearing in a public court to challenge it ...

caneratpie

Post by caneratpie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:28 pm

I have previously tried to urge a reasonable approach by those here to what are, really, quite reasonable regulations, but was not particularly successful and I suspect that once again calling on folk to pull their histrionic heads out of their collective arses may similarly fall on deaf ears. Some people just want to cling to the view that life (and this law) is unfair, it seems.

The admission of guilt fines are not so offensive. As I've said before:

1.) These are drafts which can be commented upon.
2.) If you care about preserving National Parks and super-sensitive areas you'll agree that some activities have to be limited.
3.) Where a park says a particular activity is permissible (such as TMNP saying climbing is permissible on TM) then obviously you will be permitted to climb.
4.) It envisgaes what pretty much happens now anyway, namely that you can pick up your permit from some office on your way in. There's nothing to suggest red tape, money or forms.
5.) These are admission of guilt fines. No one can compel you to admit guilt. They're like traffic fines. If you think you're innocent, say so and fight the charge.

It will almost inevitably be status quo - you will be able to continue doing the things you're currently doing in the places you are doing them in. Some owners may change the rules and prevent you from doing so. I suspect they'll be a minority. Where activities are restricted negotiation may be necessary in order to continue them.

Besides, when last did you see policing in the mountains anyway? (Except TMNP, which is for different reasons entirely)

AlanH

Post by AlanH » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm

XMod wrote:During my grandmother's time there were no such thing as vizas, travel permits or even immigration control.
That's because in your grandmother's time very few people had the money or means to travel. Having certain restrictions may be an irritation but it's better than half a country setting up camp outside your door.

In this case, I agree with others that (if this is going to be the case) setting up climbing permits can benefit us in keeping the sites safe, clean and in good condition.

That being said, if police cant manage to stop muggings and the general misuse of reserves and mountainsides in the current condition, I doubt they'll be too bothered about chasing after the bums, druggies and general miscreants who'll be still setting up camp after the legislation has passed.

If they're gonna do this, they best put the money to good use and look after the reserve properly.

XMod

Post by XMod » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:36 pm

analhuggies wrote:That's because in your grandmother's time very few people had the money or means to travel. Having certain restrictions may be an irritation but it's better than half a country setting up camp outside your door.
Actually not correct my grandparents used to travel every single year to come and visit us from the UK and they were not wealthy. Travel was by boat in those days not expensive air befouling jet aircraft.

PS what kind of a name is that for an avatar? Gross! you should show more respect for our electronic brethren! :wink: :jocolor: