For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.

Postby Pw_nel » Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 pm

I know that Baviaanspoort(near Pretoria) has been plagued by crime and that you could'nt visit the crag anymore. But heard a rumor that some guys have boltled a new route there? and that you can go and climb there agian?
Does anyone know anything about the area?Or has anyone been there laterly?

Does anyone know of any good bouldering area's near Pretoria?

Re: Baviaanspoort???

Postby ColinCrab » Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 am

We stopped going there over 10 years ago due to constant break in's on the cars and hold ups at knife point at the crag.

Crag is not that great that it was worth taking a risk anyway.

I cant see the situation being better there ever..... My advice is to write it off :pukel:

Postby illona » Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 am

My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that Baviaan's is near a prison or some equally undesirable area and that hasn't changed so I dont expect the level of crime will have changed either. So follow Colin's advice.
Yes, there is bouldering near Pretoria. Contact Paul at the climbing Barn for further info (082 335 3220). It is still in the development stages and access is fragile at mo' so go through the correct channels.

Postby Barbarossa » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 pm

There is some bouldering in the Fairy Glen nature reserve. Check out the routes section. Look for "Plumbago". The reseve charges access fees lately. +- R5 i think.

Prior Planning + Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Postby Pw_nel » Fri May 29, 2009 9:57 am

Illona,are you talking about the new area at Ezemvelo? I think it's close to Bronkies,but access is limited?

Social Media

Return to “Access & Closures”