Bronkies fee increase from 1 September

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
emile

Bronkies fee increase from 1 September

Post by emile » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:54 am

Got notice this past weekend about a fee increase from effective 1 September 2017

New fees:
Adults: R40
School children: R20
Children under 12: R10

Old Smelly

Re: Bronkies fee increase from 1 September

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 am

Is this because of the great services provided? or is it to climb on MCSA provided bolts? Maybe it's the improved roads or great customer interaction...

This is the problem with bolting on private land, particularly with no written agreement in place. What is the expectation for fees paid, other then access?

Sure its their property so they can charge what they want - and maybe its not unreasonable - BUT do we see a future for climbing on this land where price hikes are unilateral...

Think about it...

Chosspile,
Kings,
Radioactive Crag?

Where is the future in this? They can hike their rates as much as they want. Did you know you can find climbs at Shelter Rock - day fee R80?

Pick on the MCSA as much as you like -at least they have the climbers best interests at heart...

How much is a reasonable rate to pay for a morning of Sport climbing?
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

slowlaner

Post by slowlaner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:24 am

The "cover charge" for Bronkies has not increased in the last 10 years.... or ever as far as I know.

#justsaying

emile

Post by emile » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Old Smelly wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 am
Is this because of the great services provided? or is it to climb on MCSA provided bolts? Maybe it's the improved roads or great customer interaction...

This is the problem with bolting on private land, particularly with no written agreement in place. What is the expectation for fees paid, other then access?

Sure its their property so they can charge what they want - and maybe its not unreasonable - BUT do we see a future for climbing on this land where price hikes are unilateral...

Think about it...
I just thought about it. Please send me the links to the forums you've complained about the price increases for:
- Fuel
- Food
- Clothing

I fully support you in boycotting those bastards as well, I mean really, when last did someone ask us about increasing the fuel price. Or the fuel levy. Or the toll fees. Assholes, all of them!!

Boycott them all I say!!

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:39 pm

i guess the difference is that climbers develop the asset here - i don't know of a single land-owner that has developed a crag and then invited the public to pay&climb. we bolt. we build paths. we maintain. landowners charge for use of their otherwise economically unproductive land.

that said, R40 isn't much and if that is what it takes to make it worth the landowner's while then we could consider it a result :thumright

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:58 pm

What happened to the generally acceptable 10% price increase ?

emile

Post by emile » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 pm

oubaas wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:58 pm
What happened to the generally acceptable 10% price increase ?
What makes 10% generally acceptable? Why not CPIX?

10% each year over the past 10 years would be just about R50 right now.

I'm just being difficult, I know. This is actually of no concern to me - I just thought a heads up would be nice, but I must admit I find the hoo-ha about what is in fact still a small fee is a bit sad.

I would have advocated for R50 - much easier to manage change for that and as a bonus perhaps there would be less moaners, groaners & smokers polluting the place :jocolor:

DavidWade

Post by DavidWade » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 am

The price increase must be to pay for all the "Eagle nesting" signs and "No climbing zone" signs :lol:

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks guys for totally missing my point...

Maybe literacy or comprehension lessons would help - right Emilie?

Ok -so as I attempted to raise previously, this is not about the R40 fee BUT rather about the conditions we as climbers are creating by bolting on private land without any terms or even a written agreement - leaving us totally open to the owners raising the fees by any amount they want whenever they want.

Do you understand that statement? Or is your mandatory knee jerk reaction required?

Thanks for informing us. Maybe I will start another post where we can discuss the value of bolting on private land as it seems to difficult for you to see how that relates to the price increase. I do not want to discuss inflation or petrol costs, rather the dubious advantage of bolting on someone else's property.

No one is creating a hoo ha - rather questioning how we as climbers go about stuff...

Frankly I do expect landowners to engage with climbers if they are paying for access - maybe not because they have to but because it could be to their advantage

emile

Post by emile » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:19 pm

I totally got your point.

My point was why make a fuss about something so trivial?
Old Smelly wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:20 am
"BUT do we see a future for climbing on this land where price hikes are unilateral..."
A bit overly dramatic for such a small increase.
Old Smelly wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:20 am
Emilie?
Very brave of a nameless faceless person.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

From some one whose real name is One Dog?!!! ROFL....:thumright :jocolor: ok - worth the laugh

Oh I have a name and a face - I just wish to reserve that to myself, I just prefer it that way.

Ok maybe the hyperbole was a bit extreme...and I apologise for the Emilie jab...

I really am not trying to hijack the thread - rather to point out that maybe bolting on land that climbers have no control of is a rather shortsighted idea.

How much do you think the bolts at Bronkies are worth - if a route costs R1000 in hardware? How many routes are there? Even at 30 it would mean climbers have put a lot of money into someone else's land...