Sentinel

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
jacosmuts

Sentinel

Post by jacosmuts » Thu May 05, 2016 11:11 am

Hello there

A bunch of us are talking about going climbing at Sentinal in October.

Will this: http://www.climbing.co.za/2016/05/drake ... nt-attack/ also impact climbing routes on Sentinel?

Thanks
Jaco

Ghaznavid

Re: Sentinel

Post by Ghaznavid » Thu May 05, 2016 1:00 pm

The closed area is on the escarpment, Sentinel is not. So I don't see why the closure of the top would stop you climbing Sentinel. That being said, Witsieshoek might lock up the trail towards the Chain Ladders, in which case you would not be able to gain access to Sentinel. Maybe phone up Witsieshoek closer to the time.
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

jacosmuts

Post by jacosmuts » Thu May 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Makes sense - I saw it applies from the top of the chain ladder, but am concerned the parking lot will be closed.

Will keep an eye on it - in case we need to make alternate plans.

Blouberg anyone?

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Thu May 05, 2016 2:52 pm

jacosmuts wrote:Blouberg anyone?
There are other climbing routes in the Drakensberg. Cathkin, Monks Cowl, Mitre etc to name a few...
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

jacosmuts

Post by jacosmuts » Thu May 05, 2016 7:51 pm

True

Done Cathkin, Monks Cowl and a few more. Has anyone ever climbed the Cleft of Cleft peak - is it possible - and is it allowed with the vultures around?

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Thu May 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Years ago I gave the Cleft a go. The walk-in from TsekeTseke was substantially longer than expected. Around midday we realized that we were guaranteed a chilly bivvy, and bailed without having uncoiled our ropes.

Consider the Column or Pyramid as alternatives.

jacosmuts

Post by jacosmuts » Fri May 06, 2016 6:36 am

Yep - not done either of those (think I was too scared). I will look into them.

Thanks

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Fri May 06, 2016 6:11 pm

jacosmuts wrote:Has anyone ever climbed the Cleft of Cleft peak - is it possible - and is it allowed with the vultures around?
RD's for the 2 routes at http://kzn.mcsa.org.za/climbing/route-g ... g-rds/xeni

I seem to recall some epic story of Brian Godbold opening the Cleft Frontal Route solo in the dark.

jacosmuts

Post by jacosmuts » Tue May 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Sounds harrowing. Column sounds more tempting.

Thanks

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Tue May 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Column also had an epic first ascent - an on-sight free-solo first-ascent in work boots by a guy who was rejected from the army for a supposed heart condition and who was not regarded as a climber at the time (he may even have had no prior climbing experience, according to some accounts). I guess life was quite different in the 40's!

The closure of the Amphitheatre has been delayed, pending a stakeholders meeting - so you might be able to stick with your original plan.