Dog friendly camp sites & crags

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Hann

Dog friendly camp sites & crags

Post by Hann » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:21 pm

So I now have a dog.

And considering that Cape Nature is rather sticky about allowing dogs on their land....

Which camp sites and crags area dog friendly?
In the Western Cape.

I know of Beaverlac, but there isnt any climbing to my knowledge.

Which other options are there?

jasony

Re: Dog friendly camp sites & crags

Post by jasony » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:13 am

We stayed at De Bos in Montagu (http://www.debos.co.za) with our dog, and Legoland crag (http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Legoland) is nearby and has zero walk-in, so good for dogs, kids, non-climbing wife etc. I think they're under new ownership, so just check with them to make sure the policy hasn't changed.

RainbowDave

Post by RainbowDave » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 am

Rainbow Glen Cottages in Montagu is also pet-friendly :)

DolphinDawie

Post by DolphinDawie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Klein Kliphuis is dog friendly, but you cannot take your mutt onto Cape Nature land so no climbing options.

I think De Pakhuis camping and bouldering is fine, but check with Thys. Alpha excelsior is pet friendly as well.

Hann

Post by Hann » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:15 pm

What about local climbing?

Isn't Silvermine owned by Cape Nature too?

Can you take a dog there?

proze

Post by proze » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Why do you want to? What does it add to your climbing experience? Besides getting in people's way, nosing through their food and walking over their ropes?

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 pm

About dogs at crags :arrow: Climbing Dogs

Popcorn anyone ? 8)
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Hann

Post by Hann » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:01 am

proze wrote: Why do you want to?
Dont worry.
We didnt get the dog as a personal insult to you.

We simply dont have a babysitter for the dog and would prefer not to leave it alone at home. Especially while still a puppy.

And remember: Dog owners who allow their dogs to mess with other climbers gear are synonyms with those shits that listen to music at crags.

Wes

Post by Wes » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:19 am

proze wrote:Why do you want to? What does it add to your climbing experience? Besides getting in people's way, nosing through their food and walking over their ropes?
I was wondering how long it would take before you commented. :thumleft:

Since my yummy crag lunch was eaten out of bag by someones dog, I no longer support crag dogs. How do you baby sit your dog when you are on the sharp-end anyway?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 am

Haters gonna hate...
:geek:

Hann

Post by Hann » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Ok.... to not get distracted from the real topic.

The following is confirmed:

De Bos.
No dogs allowed by new owners.

De Pakhuys.
Thys allows dogs.
But keep it away from the sheep.

Hann

Post by Hann » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Oh......

And a case of beer for the next dog who eats either Proze or Wes' crag snacks from their packs at a crag.

Photo evidence required.....

:mrgreen: :eye:

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Vatso! hehe, but alas, my vet told me dogs don't do well with beer, tried it, Vlekkie didn't like that ride one bit.
Last edited by Turtle on Mon May 02, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am

So for Silvermine etc I think you need a dog walking permit (or activity permit) , but then I think the dog can go with you on the majority of TMNP. Could be wrong though about everywhere, maybe check. We've taken our dog to silvermine, piers cave, red Hill, lakeside, the quarry etc.

I've got a pretty well behaved dog (though maybe all dog owners think that) but one big reason I might want to bring him, especially in TMNP, is because he's a really good watch dog and will warn me when some criminals are about to say howdy. Which is definitely a possibility.

caperocks

Post by caperocks » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:03 pm

Yip, well behaved dogs do well at silvermine, though space and access can be an issue at BoG and Main. Climbing activity is level 2 and dogs are level 1 so they're covered anyway if you have climbing... The mine is an obvious spot good for dogs too. Usually take my mutts there.

micky

Post by micky » Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 am

proze wrote:Why do you want to? What does it add to your climbing experience? Besides getting in people's way, nosing through their food and walking over their ropes?
why hang out with friends at the crag, apart from a belay what does it add? Besides getting in peoples way and nosing through other peoples business etc

I hate other people at the crags, so i'm with you on this one, no dogs no people, just me

happy

Post by happy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:30 am

I'll remember to 'accidentally' step on your rope next time when you are projecting my warm-up proze.

I take my dog almost everywhere with me when climbing, except for the areas where dogs are not allowed by the land owners. I've trained my dog to not walk over ropes or bother people who do not want to be bothered. It was not difficult, and dog owners should do that in any case.

Dont be a dick Paul, because that may just prompt people to not appreciate you any more.

proze

Post by proze » Tue May 03, 2016 10:49 am

Are you are? Apart from a passive-aggressive rude person. I could equally call you 'a dick' for bringing your dog to the crag, no? Read the last thread, it's not just me who doesn't like it. :thumright

But whatevs, people will do what people want to do. Cool people will minimise their impact on others in public spaces, uncool people won't.
Last edited by proze on Tue May 03, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 am

imho well trained dogs at the crag are cool; i love their friendly & happy vibes. untrained dogs can be a real pain. dogs are the owners responsibility and if your dog spoils other people's experience then you should take care of it. easy.

Hann

Post by Hann » Tue May 03, 2016 12:08 pm

This list that I have is

No Dogs Allowed:
- De Bos (Montagu)
- Houdenbek (Cederberg)
- Any Cape Nature land

Dogs Allowed:
- Rainbow Glen (Montagu)
- De Pakhuys (Rocklands) (NB to check with Thys first)
- Klein Kliphuis (Rocklands) (Check this yourself first)
- Beaverlac (But there isnt any climbing)

micky

Post by micky » Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 am

Nobody likes an unruly dog at the crag as much as nobody likes unruly kids or adults. However i think if you have well behaved dog then there should be no problem. I understand that some people arent keen on dogs at the crag so i make an effort to keep my dog out of peoples way, i clean up after her and make sure she doesnt beg. So far everyone I climb with really likes panda and there hasnt been an issue.

I dont think its fair to judge what possible benefits someone could have for bringing a dog to the crag. Thats like saying what possible benefit could you have to bringing your kid to the crag, or what possible benefit could there be to not being homophobic etc etc. You dont know the relationship I have with my dog and how much it means to me to spend time in the mountains with her. Its one of the most important things in the world for me. So i'll try respect that some people are dog wary and will keep my dog under control but then its fair to ask other people to respect my choice to have a dog and take her to the mountains with me. Asking what possible benefit just implies a lack of empathy or understanding for other people.

As for a dog eating your food. I'd say it takes about as much effort to put your food back in your bag after eating as it does for me to take a piss in front of you while eating :hapban

anyway pretty sure you'll meet panda at the crag sometime, she's a rad dog and just generally naps while i climb.

DolphinDawie

Post by DolphinDawie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:52 am

No Dogs Allowed:
- Houdenbek (Cederberg)
- Any Cape Nature land

Dogs Allowed:
- Rainbow Glen (Montagu)
- De Pakhuys (Rocklands) (NB to check with Thys first)
- De Bos (Montagu) just ask first
- Klein Kliphuis (Rocklands) (cat friendly dogs only)
- Beaverlac (But there isnt any climbing)