Strubens 2 - parking/security

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
MClay

Strubens 2 - parking/security

Post by MClay » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Has anyone been to Strubens 2 recently?

I've been wondering if anything came of the controversy about the topo/fence issue with local residents. We've always just parked on the corner down by Wilgerood and hiked up and over. Never had any problems, only ever seen some Zionists near the top of the hike.

The climbing is considerably better than Strubens 1 (IMO) but you never see any other climbers down there.

HectorD

Re: Strubens 2 - parking/security

Post by HectorD » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 am

We were there on Sunday.. Had a glorious time with the crag to ourselves, while Strubens1 was extremely crowded. You could park at an open stand directly below the crag and hike straight up. You would literally be able to keep an eye on your own car... Hiking in from Strubens1 parking is also not a big issue

MClay

Post by MClay » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Has anyone had issues with local residents or security by parking at the open stand on the street below? I've never parked there in fear of upsetting someone. Especially after the response from locals with the security fence on the other side. It would cut down approach time by half and you could see the car as well.

IdratherBeCimbing

Post by IdratherBeCimbing » Mon May 30, 2016 11:49 am

As a Local Who Stays in the Area I Know That House Number 780 is basically abandoned with only a maid and Gardner staying there I just park on that pavement under the fever trees and walk up through the open stand which has been scheduled in the up coming months to be cleaned and made a really nice access point , alternatively I know that the Eagles view guest house has a parking lot and gate accessing the mountain they often organise community hikes through this entrance someone could possibly get in contact with them and liaise access and safe parking for climbers in the future it would be a slightly longer walk from this entrance to the climbs than the empty stand but may put peoples minds at ease regarding safety .

Gobsmacked

Post by Gobsmacked » Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi there i'drather be climbing(Blake) and other Strubens locals,

Could you possibly assist the climbing community in securing this area and the normal Strubens parking area through the community forum and policing? The MCSA is willing to assist in paying the community guards if we can ensure that the guards are monitoring these areas. As I understand it there are community guards and we feel we would rather involve the MCSA in this then attempt to arrange our own guards. Any help would be appreciated.

Grant Rens
JHB MCSA Chairman

You can contact our office at admin@jhb.mcsa.org.za