Climb Silvermine after Fires?

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
ChrisL

Re: Climb Silvermine after Fires?

Post by ChrisL » Mon May 11, 2015 8:07 am

What we all need to realize is that all around the world moronic authorities have tried to prohibit climbing in lots of areas. The land belongs to the people and is for our respected usage. When authorities thrust unreasonable rules on us we should resist. A good friend from Canada makes a habit of taking signs down and sticking them in the boot of his car.He lives in Canada and has lived here and firmly believes in what he does as being correct !

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Mon May 11, 2015 8:45 am

Warren G wrote:After seeing this video I am no longer concerned about fire damage: did the fire reach that intensity 25m up a wall?
I don't know about that Warren. We're not worried about the bolts 25m up, we're worried about the first 2 or 3 bolts close to the ground, the ones that protect you from a ground fall. Wood can burn at temperatures around that of a propane torch and possibly even hotter given enough fuel and wind. The fire also may have burned at the base of the crag for longer than they heated that staple thing. Lastly that staple thing is much larger than our bolts and so will take much longer to heat up.

Also fires often cause rocks to split and shatter, often peeling off a "skin" like an orange which may have happened in this case and might not be obvious at all.
Happy climbing
Nic

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 am

ChrisL wrote:What we all need to realize is that all around the world moronic authorities have tried to prohibit climbing in lots of areas. The land belongs to the people and is for our respected usage. When authorities thrust unreasonable rules on us we should resist. A good friend from Canada makes a habit of taking signs down and sticking them in the boot of his car.He lives in Canada and has lived here and firmly believes in what he does as being correct !
He's from Canada and believes that theft is correct? That ruins all my Canadian stereotypes! Seriously though, just because someone "seriously believes" that what they are doing is correct does not make it correct. While in this case the land belongs to the State, not the people, and is subject to the laws of the State and those laws include the rights of the administrators of the land (in this case, SANParks) to restrict access to specific areas should they deem it necessary. Just because you and I don't think that they are correct sadly has no bearing on this matter.
Happy climbing
Nic

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon May 11, 2015 9:21 am

Nic Le Maitre wrote:Seriously though, just because someone "seriously believes" that what they are doing is correct does not make it correct.
yup. you may want to read up on dean potter's eff-you climb that resulted in closure for all climbing in a major US national park. i share the sentiment of civil resistance for unreasonable measures imposed by the bodies that governs the use of public land. first prize is obviously engagement, discussion and coming to mutually agreeable terms. if that's not possible, and you absolutely need to break the "rules", please think carefully what message you send and what the downstream consequences could be.

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed May 13, 2015 8:46 am

I've yet to read the full article but I think the headline gives the general impression...
Attachments
cape_argus_table_mountain_draft_plan_01.jpg
cape_argus_table_mountain_draft_plan_01.jpg (122.42 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed May 13, 2015 9:09 am

Happy climbing
Nic

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks Nic.

Apparently the reason for Tokai remaining closed (for the next 2 years) is so that the forestry guys (SAFCOL) can remove all the Pine Trees within the plantation.
Upon talking to SANParks I was unofficially told that they are also still concerned about crime in the area and that Silvermine may only open towards the end of the year as they need to build up paths, walkways, etc

There is currently a blanket closure from Peers Cave to Tokai.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Thermophage

Post by Thermophage » Wed May 13, 2015 9:22 am

well i hope i get a bloody extension on my Activity Permit I bought for not being able to use it...Ja right :x

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 13, 2015 2:19 pm

I wonder what parts of the jeep track to the waterfall, and paths over Steenberg Peak, need repairing? There is actually no damage whatsoever to those paths. Yes, maybe the boardwalks around the dam got burned a bit, but most of the paths and jeep tracks are as good as before. At least there will be considerably less dog-poo on those paths now.

CapeTownClimber

Post by CapeTownClimber » Wed May 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Like I said in my earlier post....I was in a meeting with high-level TMNP employees in my professional capacity (I don't want to reveal my or their identities or what my or their profession is) where they themselves said, from the horses mouth, that there is no good reason to close that section (Silvermine east), but simply their lawyers advised them to for liability reasons...remember Cape Nature opened Jonkershoek after their fire within two weeks

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 am

So apparently SANParks rangers issued some guys a R500 fine each for climbing at Lakeside...
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

GClamp

Post by GClamp » Fri May 15, 2015 12:50 pm

I hate SANParks

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri May 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Im sorry, but that was an incident begging to happen... Lakeside, part from being an entry level crag, is probably THE best viewable crag in the Western Cape. Every person driving past, walking the dog, jogging etc can see the climbers clearly. I live in Lakeside myself and know that probably every person in the whole area was frothing at the mouth when the mountain burned, they all by now know all the walk-ins to the mountain has been newly fenced off and sign-posted. I can imagine 3,000 phone-calls simultaneously to SANparks when they see climbers now on the pinnacle. And the saddest part: its ONLY climbers that go there, so NO-ONE else can get the blame except us, the climbing community. Its a bit of a DUH situation. Why not diversify a bit, increase your CV of climbing talents and rather go bouldering at Red Hill?
Comply. Why not? Is Lakeside really worth damaging our rep as a community? Or are we not a community, just everyone for him/herself?
:scratch:

richardwardza

Post by richardwardza » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Is Lakeside still closed or can we go climb there again as part of the 'Nature Week' ?

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Lakeside is open to climbing again.

Silvermine East to open
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Hann

Post by Hann » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Is silvermine still closed?

robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:25 pm

yes. they talking Dec or Jan.

proze

Post by proze » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 am

I inquired whether card-holders will be given extensions on the expiry dates given they've closed the reserve for the whole year, and as you'd expect, no reply. Useless gits.

Justin

Post by Justin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:44 pm

The Park plans to have Silvermine West reopened by the end of December 2015.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Hann

Post by Hann » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:55 pm

What is the latest on Silvermine?

Is it open for climbing?

proze

Post by proze » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Yup.