Joining MCSA

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Passion4Life

Joining MCSA

Postby Passion4Life » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:15 pm

I need advice re joining MCSA. I live in magalies and was planning to join MCSA Magalies, until I discovered theres MCSA JHB, and and and. Does the different clubs have different outings, training and offers etc. Will I miss out on something if I join the one and not the other. We will be climbing indoors in JHB but outdoors mostly in our area where we live, Hartebeespoort, Magalies area. Advice please?

Passion4Life

Re: Joining MCSA

Postby Passion4Life » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Also... Whats the pros and cons for joining? I am a total newbie, not sure why people DO NOT want to join??? Joining kids for a mere R25-R75 a year seems like a no brainer?? Meeting experienced like minded people?? What is the catch??? Advice please?

oubaas

Postby oubaas » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Why don't you contact the MCSA directly I'm sure all of your questions will be answered

emile

Postby emile » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Heidie

In my opinion it does not matter which section you join as you get the same privileges.

So my advice would be to join at the section where you would be the most comfortable attending meetings, pick up your membership card etc. etc. The different sections each go to some effort to make the club-evenings interesting and again, to the best of my knowledge, you would be welcome at any section's club evening. Hell, you may even score some free booze being the guest & all (?) :afro:

But do join, it's well worth the money!

Gobsmacked

Postby Gobsmacked » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi there,

While you are welcome to join either section, generally we encourage people to join the correct section for their geographical location (an initiative at National Level).

As it is, the Magaliesberg Section and the Johannesburg Section work together hand in hand on most activities and so there is no real disjoint or competition between the two sections. We share ownership and administration of most of our properties, so your access to any of these spectacular areas is very much the same for either section. Along with that we work together on bolting and conservation and pretty much every other aspect of the clubs activities.

As to why you should join the club - I know that every now and then we prepare a list as to the advantages, but here are a few;

1. Access to spectacular wilderness areas - kept that way by the club
2. The opportunity to hike and climb in these areas at any time (a club members advantage)
3. Access to some sport climbing venues like Chosspile where the landowner has insisted that people belong to a reputable club. The club is always on the lookout for new sport climbing areas and seeking to negotiate access to these areas.
4. Bolts on many routes in the country are supplied by the MCSA
5. Discounts from reputable suppliers like Drifters, Mountain Mail Order and CityRock.
6. Access to club huts countrywide as well as to our own in Wolkberg.
7. Sponsorship of expeditions and assistance with high altitude medical kit
8. Search and Rescue - yes they will help anyone but they are very much part of the club and their excellence is renowned!

So yes - don't hesitate to join!

Feel free to contact either office and they will assist you further.

Grant Rens
MCSA JHB Chairman

http://www.mcsamagalies.co.za/

Passion4Life

Postby Passion4Life » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:10 am

Thank you!!! I am definately joining and dragging a whole lot with me!!

Gobsmacked

Postby Gobsmacked » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:23 am

Pop into the MCSA office at CityRock JHB for a chat anyway - as I said we work closely with the Mag Section and it would be nice to meet you and chat about climbing.

Cheers

Grant

P.S. for anyone else who ever wonders about joining please feel free to contact us.

Club Contact Details:
Office Number: 011 067 0326 Office hours will be 3-6pm weekdays (For Permits, membership, standard enquiries)
Email: admin@jhb.mcsa.org.za
Physical Address: 173 Republic Road, Randburg, (entrance in Fourth)
Postal Address: MCSA Johannesburg Section, P.O. Box 1641 Killarney 2041

JOHANNESBURG SECTION
Established 1931

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”