Kilimanjaro climb or something more extreme?

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Luckystrike

Kilimanjaro climb or something more extreme?

Post by Luckystrike » Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 am

It has always been one of my dreams to climb a mountain. I don't have allot of experience in climbing summits, but I am fairly fit, have done allot of mountain running and did allot of rock climbing in my younger days. I am looking for a climb that is going to be a challenge; thought about climbing Kilimanjaro, but allot of people say it would not be a challenge for me. I will probably only be able to afford it once in my life; so would rather save longer and do something more extreme. Any advice would be appreciated. Also which operators to contact.

Brussel

Re: Kilimanjaro climb or something more extreme?

Post by Brussel » Mon May 09, 2016 11:16 am

Kenya from the North is great. Not as high as Kili but still high enough. Much more alpine in style and the climbing is proper stuff with one Grade 19 pitch and lots of easy but VERY exposed pitches.

There is a guide a lot of saffas have used who is fantastic called Hiram

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 am

I have done Kilimanjaro - I can confirm that hiking in the Drakensberg is much more difficult. South Africa does have some significant mountains, so you don't need to go as far abroad. I would suggest doing some local mountains before you try anything too epic, though. Experience is key when things go wrong.

Consider something like Aconcagua - it is harder and higher than Kili, but similar in cost.
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

Luckystrike

Post by Luckystrike » Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Can anyone advice me on tour operators to contact for Mount Kenya?

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Tue May 10, 2016 6:28 pm

contact Tony Lourens...I got Hirams details from him

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am

I used Summit Ventures for Kili - run by Malcolm Pearce - they were great. They obviously go through a local group, but he was able to put me with another group of people, which cut the cost dramatically - so it worked out cheaper than going through Zara directly.

His website is summitventures.co.za
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly